Thursday, March 09, 2006

Digging in my Heels

Yesterday I had a rant about cyclists because a dozy student who was cycling on the pavement hit me in the back. Now this seems to have caused a little controversy; I do not intend to defend my corner beyond reiterating what I said about those lunatic cyclists who refuse to obey the rules. These cyclists have no hesitation about cycling on pavements or through a red light whether it be a road junction or a pelican crossing, putting the lives of all around them, not to mention their own, in danger. I did not expand my thoughts because I was having a rant, but it seems that there is little margin for error when letting off steam. I know from experience just how bad it can be cycling these days having been almost thrown into the ditch by a truck when on a cycling holiday in the Czech Republic a couple of years back, and had I not had my wits about me would ineed have wound up in the said ditch. I am the first to admit that motorists are no saints, and that most drivers break the rules at times, but let's take it a step further, there are very, very few motorists who would even contemplate driving on the pavement and I include motor cyclists in that; so why should we make allowances for those cretinous morons who choose to cycle on pavements?

I am not saying that all cyclists are alike, the majority are very good at keeping themselves safe and respect the rules; it is only a minority that make it bad for everyone else. The thing which I cannot understand is why the Yellow Striped Traffic Vultures who see these unruly people cycling on pavements simply ignore them; after all they are quick enough to pounce on the driver who breaks the rules! I respect that handbook "The Highway Code", and consider myself to be a pretty safe driver, OK I may break the speed limit at times, and may park where I shouldn't if I want to drop something in a charity shop or pick up something I have purchased; however I, and I suspect the majority of other drivers, respect cyclists and give them plenty of room. This cannot be said of those who choose to cycle on pavements and in pedestrianised areas; this shows a general lack of respect for all the other people around them, and I for one will not tolerate it, so the next cyclist who hits me whilst cycling on the pavement may just find him/herself in a heap on the ground with his/her bicycle.


Update 7:04 pm

Hey folks I seem to be outnumbered here, see here, I only seem to have one supporter so if you feel like contributing to the debate feel free to wade right on in, that's unless you support the opposition of course!

5 Comments:

Blogger The Blind-Winger Jones said...

I agree with you. The cycling/car debate sometimes descends into a two-wheels good, four-wheels bad dichotomy (and the other way round)that doesn't reflect the reality. There are conscientious cyclists and conscientious drivers, equally there are loons on two-wheels and on four.

Thursday, March 09, 2006  
Blogger BondBloke said...

I couldn't have put it better myself, there are bad apples in every barrel, but they are outnumbered by good ones - in this case it is the rotten ones that re getting it, but the others can't see what I am saying, or don't want to - actually they are probably trying to wind me up.

Thursday, March 09, 2006  
Blogger J.J said...

Hi! I'm probably being exceptionally dim, but I can't find an e-mail address for you. could you let me have one that I can use if you have a moment?

I'm on cobblerjane@yahoo.co.uk. Many thanks!

Friday, March 10, 2006  
Blogger BondBloke said...

Is on its way Jane...

Friday, March 10, 2006  
Blogger Steve Piercy said...

I tried getting wellied into this one, but I found myself sitting on the fence.

Still... more comfortable than a racing saddle.

http://forlovenormoney.me.uk/?p=188

Friday, March 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home