Monday, May 08, 2006

A Poetic Revival

I was listening to the Today programme this morning, and there was an interesting piece about the revival of poetry. Now I happen to think that poetry is a very important part of life; maybe I don’t read as much as I should do, but that is mainly because there are so many other things to read, so many other thoughts that need expression. I also scribble the odd poem myself, not as often as I should I suppose, and I find it very therapeutic, a very good way of dealing with the stresses and strains of modern day living. I leave you with a humble effort of mine own:-

Recumbent

Lying back on the grass
Staring at the sky, as
The clouds scuttle past,
En route to some future
Assignation with the
Hills, to dump their rain.

Sounds and smells assault
My ears and nose, those
Of nature, and living,
That we never notice
In the busy bustle of
The busy beehive of life.

The lark on high singing
The joys of existence.
The acrid smell of tar,
From road resurfacing.
These somehow blend
In the harmony of life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home