Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The fate of the elderly

Martyn describes himself as "man from York; writes stuff" on his blog. Typically self-deprecating. This morning he has posted a story about his paternal grandmother, which I fear is not that remarkable, but is immensely sad. A story in which a very vulnerable woman was faced with leaving the only place she could call home, because an "institution" was closing. The power lies in Martyn's telling - as ever. Please go and read it. As ever, it made me think, especially about the fate of my own grandparents, and indeed my mother, although they fortunately never found themselves in that position. And then, I found this, a brief report on Guardian Unlimited, about another elderly woman forced to leave the place she felt was home, a care home, and moved to another care home, because the first one closed. She died of an overdose shortly afterwards. And then I realised - we really are bastards to elderly people, aren't we? Do we really care at all?

Anyway, thanks, Martyn - for making me think.

Changing the subject - am posting from Budapest, from a wirelessly enabled cafe. Appear to be more of those in Budapest than in London, where you always have to pay for wireless access. Photos later.

2 Comments:

Blogger Martyn said...

Thanks very much for the mention. Hope Budapest is good. A city I would love to visit.

Thursday, June 01, 2006  
Blogger BondWoman said...

Actually, it's by no means my favourite central european city, although it is certainly quite interesting.

Thursday, June 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home