Friday, February 24, 2006

Respect!

In several posts now I have hammered home my point of view on the freedom of speech, and I make no apology for it, or for returning to it, as it fundamental to my belief system. However, my sense that people should be allowed to say what they think does not extend to the freedom of speech that leads to disrespect of people from other cultures; Margot Wallstrom makes the point better than I can:-

"There are things I do not want to see in the comments section of my blog: As the Moderator has said before, I do not want to see racist, xenophobic, homophobic comments or personal abuse of anyone. I do not want to see attacks on people based on their religion or nationality."

I had some of this a few days ago (
see here), and I whole heartedly agree with Margot, I do not want to see this; now this is not saying that I am trying to bury my head in the sand, I am perfectly aware that such views exist. What I am saying is that I don't want it thrust in my face, that I DO NOT want the obnoxious people who promulgate these vile ideas in my space; if they want to hold such views they are more than welcome to keep them to themselves, not force other people to listen to them. The people who promote these vile messages are even worse than those of the religious cults that knock on doors and try to force their religious beliefs on others, at least the religious cults are, in the main, quite harmless; whereas those who promote racism, xenophobia, homophobia etc., are dangerous people and I for one would actively campaign to deny them any platform for their vile views and obnoxious, malevolent messages.

More power to the elbow of people like Margot Wallstrom!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home