Wednesday, April 05, 2006

A Comments Policy

Due to a recent fracas with those nice people at the Campaign for an English Parliament, I have thought out and constructed a comments policy which is very much based on those to be found on other blogs, notably - This is Not my Country - Laurelin in the Rain - Biting Beaver, all of whom I thank for the inspiration. I will add here that the regular commenters on this blog can feel free to ignore this as they are a good bunch and would not transgress these rules - I hope!

If you leave insulting, abusive, vulgar, rude, racist, bigoted or vindictive comments make no mistake your comments will be deleted. I treat everyone with a bit of respect; that is until respect for me is cast aside. This is my space and if you can’t respect that then I don’t want to hear what you have to say.

Read the posts! Not only read, but be sure that you understand what I am saying before you comment. Picking a sentence at random and commenting on it totally out of context is not acceptable to me, and any comment that does this will be deleted.

Stick to the point of the post. Any comments that are not relevant will be deleted, that is unless there is a degree of humour, or I can see some point to the comment.

The "anonymous" comment has been tested to the limit, and whilst I appreciate that all anonymous comments are not negative, a great deal have been; such comments will be deleted. I would much rather that you gave me a name to deal with, even a pseudonym is better than nothing; it also makes it easier to refer back to a comment.

If you want argue with me that’s fine, just be sure that you can back up your argument; the “I’m right and you’re wrong” type of argument just won’t wash with me, and it is a sure way of ensuring that you lose the argument, and make yourself look stupid into the bargain. But you must also be aware that I have the option to simply ignore you and not respond, and if you bore me then I will use that option.

I have been accused of censorship in the past because I deleted comments that were abusive and insulting. I believe in the freedom of speech, but not to the extent that you can come into my space and rant and rave in an abusive insulting manner; so if you find your comments deleted you can’t say that you weren’t warned.

6 Comments:

Blogger BondBloke said...

Oh, Boy, that would incur the death penalty at the very least. Good to know someone out there has a sense of humour. It pains me to have to do this but at least the nasties can't say they weren't warned when I retaliate!

Wednesday, April 05, 2006  
Blogger The Pedant-General said...

Death penalty for a "semi-colon-in-error". Whoa there old chap.

Best to keep your powder dry. Otherwise, what would keep in store for splitters of infinitives, eh? Answer me that.

Oh, and I have only once had call to delete a comment. My policy is to attempt to rephrase the comment so that others can see the substantive element of what was being said (thus entirely undermining the anti-freedom of speech charge) whilst still making it clear the level of bigotry displayed, that such comments are not tolerated, that the commenter is indeed and bigot and I am in charge around here.

Seems to work.

PG

Thursday, April 06, 2006  
Blogger BondBloke said...

Oh the splitter of the infinitive suffers a far worse fate than death, I have a range of tortures for suc a cove that would make old Torquemada himself green with envy...

Thursday, April 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

adn slopy speling?

Friday, April 07, 2006  
Blogger BondBloke said...

Ah, plopsy psllenig will be shactsied in its own special way, dependant on the who plopsy pselelr is...

Friday, April 07, 2006  
Blogger BondBloke said...

In fact Cliff it was Cornish for let's nuke George Bush, invade Westminster and kick em all out, then retire for a nice fish supper and a bottle of decent red...

Friday, April 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home